Sunday 28 June 2015

Does fulfilling my desires can make me happy?

Dear,
let us look at the process of this term “desire” more closely.
when you want something, when you desire something; suppose you want ‘A’. So there is this ‘A’ which you do not have, and then there is the want. And what happens to the want when you get ‘A’? So, you wanted ‘A’. You wanted to get ‘A’. In wanting ‘A’ you wanted the want to vanish. Are you getting it?
After all, I want ‘A’ and the moment ‘A’ is achieved the want dies. So what does the want want?The want wants to die. It says that I will get ‘A’ and then I will die. That is strange. Isn’t it? What we want is the disappearance of want. When you want something, you actually want that desire to disappear. You want that desire to disappear. When you go to a restaurant to eat something,what you ultimately want is the disappearance of that urge to eat something delicious? Isn’t it?
The question is, ‘can the desire disappear by wanting more and more and achieving more and more?’ ‘Has it ever happened that you have wanted and achieved and the whole process of wanting has come to an end?’ Does it happen?’ You want. You achieved and the process of wanting stops. Has it happened? What may happen is that the objects of want my change. You want ‘A’ and then you may say that now I want ‘B’, but the want will remain very much in its place.

When you want something, do you want that want to remain permanent? Do you want to remain wanting? Or do you want that the desire should be fulfilled? What do you want? Or do you say that the desire should remain permanent? You say that I want to fulfill this desire. But the wanting remains always permanent. No desire ever gets fulfilled.

Every new desire, every want is a promise that the mind is making to itself. The mind is promising itself that this time if I get it, I will not desire anymore. This is the final one. But the final one never comes. It is a succession, it is a procession. Now you want this, and then you want that, then you want that and you find that the thirst is never quenched.

why not straight away come to the ultimate desire? The ultimate desire is to be free of desire; freedom from desire. You have to look very cautiously at it.
Freedom from desire means that desire is there but desire is there at its own place and I am there at my own place. That desire is not dominating me. This chair is there, I am related to this chair in some way, but yet I am free of this chair. I sat on it on my own accord and I can get up from it on my own accord.

Desires will be there, but there is something separate from that desire as well. I am there. I am there, the watcher of desire, and then desire is not overpowering. The desire is not making you mad. The desire does not make you stupid. This is what intelligence is. Yes, desire is there. Alright?

There is the brain. There is the body. Desire is there, but I am not dominated by it. I can understand how it arises. I can see its origin, its source. It is going away. Everything is obvious, but it is not too much upon me. And then, your mind will not be able to fool you.Then you won’t be deceived by all these promises that want a little more. May be that is what will make you happy. Then life will not be boring. Then, you won’t feel distracted all the time. All this distraction is just dissatisfaction. I want something else, I want something else. Distraction is just dissatisfaction. And we are distracted all the time. This only means that the mind is making an utter fool of you. You are thinking that instead of this if you have something  else, you will be satisfied. You will never be satisfied. Wherever you are, whatever you get, will you ever be satisfied? You are just being fooled by an empty promise. Watch the desire. Understand the desire. That is wantlessness. That is desirelessness. Simple. Obvious. Right?

This is an excerpts from a Samvaad session. For more clarity you can visit-http://prashantadvait.com/2014/04/11/what-do-i-really-want/

Or,

You can watch the full session –

Q&A-
http://www.querynanswer.com/question/does-fulfilling-my-desires-can-make-me-happy/

No comments:

Post a Comment